PNB Immigration Law Firm offers the following solutions for citizens who wish to change citizenship status:
- Indonesia: Application of Indonesian citizenship for foreign nationals
- Indonesia: Renouncement of Indonesian citizenship for Indonesian Nationals who wish to apply (or already have) citizenship of a foreign country
- Investment Immigration Abroad: Application of citizenship or permanent residency in foreign countries
Our immigration lawyers and consultants assist individuals to change their citizenship or residency status
Indonesian Citizenship Application for Foreign Nationals
Foreign nationals wishing to obtain Indonesian citizenship must apply at the regional office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights. After the application is accepted, the procedure is as follows:
- The application is discussed by the regional office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights with 14 other government institutions.
- On approval, the Ministry of Law and Human Rights will check the application and issue a recommendation to the President of the Republic of Indonesia through the State Secretary.
- On receipt of the recommendation, the President will issue a Presidential Decree which stipulates that the applicant is accepted as an Indonesian citizen.
- The Ministry of Law and Human Rights will then issue a statement letter and provide it together with the Presidential Decree to the regional office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights.
- On receipt of the statement letter and the Presidential Decree, the regional office of the Ministry of Law and Human Rights will invite the applicant to their office to take an oath.
- After the oath, the applicant must arrange the Indonesian ID card (KTP) and family card (KK).
Renouncement of Indonesian Citizenship
Indonesian citizens who wish to renounce their Indonesian citizenship must apply to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights. The renouncement will follow the below procedure:
- The Ministry of Law and Human Rights will contact the Indonesian Embassy in the country where the foreign passport of the application was issued, and the Indonesian Embassy will confirm the requested information to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights;
- The Ministry of Law and Human Rights will send the application to the State Secretary, and the State Secretary will process the Decree of Revocation Indonesian Citizenship, which is signed by the President of Republic of Indonesia;
- The State Secretary will give the Decree to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights
- After the Decree the application will need to request revocation of the Indonesian ID Card at the Civil Registration Office.
Application of citizenship or permanent residency in a foreign country
Indonesian nationals or other nationals can obtain citizenship or permanent residency in Cyprus by way of investment in real estate. More information about Citizenship and Permanent Residency programs can be found in Invest in Visa, the company we partner with for investment immigration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I have another citizenship besides my Indonesian citizenship?
Generally this is not allowed. Indonesian citizens are not allowed to have a double nationality. In case an Indonesian citizen holds a passport of a foreign country, the Indonesian passport (and citizenship) is automatically revoked. Please note that different rules apply to children who have one Indonesian parent and one non-Indonesian parent.
Q: Is obtaining foreign citizenship legal?
Yes this is legal, as long as the applicant revokes the Indonesian citizenship as soon as the application obtains the foreign passport. It is illegal to keep both passports.