The Indonesian immigration releases from time to time a list of frequently asked questions about foreign work permits and visas during the covid-19 crisis. The FAQ answers most questions regarding the situation for foreign stay permit (ITAP / ITAS) holders and foreigners currently residing in Indonesia on a visa on arrival, business visa, social visa or visa exemption. In this article we will discuss the most relevant questions relating to these foreign permit and visa holders.
IMMIGRATION VISA SERVICES AVAILABLE DURING COVID-19 CRISIS
- Are foreigners still able to apply for a work visa or visit visa during the Covid-19 crisis? All visas services are suspended, except for diplomatic visas, service visas and temporary stay visas for workers in national strategic projects.
- In case foreigners have obtained their limited stay visa (VTT) at the Indonesian Embassy abroad, can they still use this visa after the Covid-19 crisis is over? The VTT is valid for a period of 90 days. After it expires, the VTT will automatically be cancelled and the foreigners will need to apply for a new visa.
- Which foreigners who are currently not in Indonesia are allowed to enter Indonesia? The following foreigners are allowed to enter Indonesia: 1) holders of a valid ITAS / ITAP, 2) holders of an expired ITAS / ITAP, 3) holders of valid ITAP with expired MERP (multiple re-entry permit), 4) holders of diplomat or official visa / permit, 5) Crew members of ships and planes, and 6) foreign workers who work on national strategic projects.
EMERGENCY STAY PERMIT FOR STAY PERMIT (ITAS/ITAP) HOLDERS
ITAS/ITAP HOLDERS RESIDING OUTSIDE INDONESIA
- In case a foreign holders of a stay permit are currently overseas, will they automatically receive an Emergency Stay Permit? No, these foreigners will not receive an Emergency Stay Permit.
- Can foreign holders of a Stay Permit who are currently overseas apply for extension of their permit? No, they will not be able to extend their Stay Permit at the Indonesian Embassy in their current country of residency. In case their permit expires, the immigration system will automatically terminate their permit. These foreigners will then need to apply for new permits once the covid-19 travel restrictions have been lifted.
- In case foreigners are unable to collect their limited stay visa (VTT) at the Indonesian Embassy abroad, what will happen? The telex letter for VTT is valid for 60 days. In case foreigners are unable to obtain the VTT within this period, the VTT will be automatically cancelled. In such case foreigners will need to re-apply again.
ITAS/ITAP HOLDERS RESIDING INSIDE INDONESIA
- If I hold an ITAS or ITAP which is extendable, do I still obtain automatically an Emergency Stay Permit? Yes, you will receive automatically an Emergency Stay Permit. Important note: this facility does not apply to holders of a diplomatic or official stay permit.
- Will holders of an extendable Stay Permit, be able to apply for an extension? Yes this is possible, as long as the foreigner is still in Indonesia.
- What kind of Stay Permit will foreigners receive who have been granted a work permit (notification) from the Ministry of Manpower, but have not yet received their permit? They will receive an Emergency Stay Permit
- In case foreigners have cancelled their stay permit (EPO), but are no longer able to leave Indonesia due to travel restrictions, will they be granted an Emergency Stay Permit? Yes they will, they can however not work in Indonesia as their work permits have been cancelled. Once the travel restrictions have been lifted they are required to immediately leave Indonesia.
EMERGENCY PERMIT FOR VISA ON ARRIVAL, MULTIPLE / SINGLE ENTRY VISA AND VISA EXEMPTION
- Will the Emergency Stay Permit invalidate the multiple entry visit visa? No, the multiple entry visit visa remains valid.
- The single entry visit visa can be extended up to 4 times in Indonesia. In case the holder of a single entry visit visa receives an Emergency Stay Permit, will the holder still be able to apply for the extensions after the covid-19 crisis is over? Yes, this is still possible. A detailed regulation about this issue will be issued by the Ministry of Law and Human Rights after the covid-19 crisis is over.
- I am currently in Indonesia on an expired Visa on Arrival, will I receive an Emergency Stay Permit? Yes you will. Both Visa on Arrival holder and free-visa (visa exemption) visitors will automatically receive an Emergency Stay Permit.
SERVICES AT IMMIGRATION CHECKPOINTS (AIRPORTS, HARBORS)
- Can foreign holders of a Limited Stay Visa (VITAS / VTT) enter Indonesia? Foreigner workers can only enter Indonesia if they will perform for national strategic projects.
- Are holders of a Stay Permit (ITAS) who wish to enter Indonesia, required to undergo a 14-day quarantine period in a Covid-19 free country as per Ministry of Law and Human Rights has issued Regulation Number 11 of 2020? The Directorate General of Immigration allows foreign holders of a Stay Permit to enter Indonesia, subject to the following requirements:
- Health certificate or fit-to-fly certificate, which includes the result of a Covid-19 PCR tests which is not older than 7 days; and
- Statement letter that the foreigner is willing to undergo a 14-days self isolation or isolation at a facility of the Ministry of Health.
- Can Emergency Stay Permit be granted to a foreigner who is currently in Indonesia and whose stay permit or visit permit (based on a multiple entry or single entry visa) is still extendable? Yes, such foreigners receive their Emergency Stay Permit automatically. The foreigners do not need to report to or apply for the Emergency Stay Permit at the local immigration office.
- What is the period of validity of the Emergency Stay Permit? The permit will remain valid until the Indonesian government declares the covid-19 crisis to be over.
- Do overstay penalties apply for those foreigners who remain in Indonesia after their permit expires? No, these foreigners will be automatically receive an Emergency Stay Permit, and as such there will be no overstay penalty.
- When Emergency Stay Permit holders leave Indonesia, what procedure do they need to follow? When foreigners are leaving Indonesia they can leave Indonesia using the regular exit procedures.
- Which immigration services are currently open? Most services are currently closed, however currently immigration is providing skeletal services, which include 1) change of status application for stay permit holders, 2) new stay permit (ITAS) applications for family members who are currently already residing in Indonesia, 3) Certificate of Residency (SKIM) and 4) dual citizenship applications for newborns.